28 December 2013

Wolves Topped by Monsters in Overtime, 5-4

CLEVELAND --- The Chicago Wolves overcame a pair of two-goal deficits and led most of the third period but it was the Lake Erie Monsters tying the game with 1:45 left in regulation and grabbing the overtime winner for a 5-4 win Saturday at Quicken Loans Arena.

The Wolves, who saw their four-game win streak snapped with the loss, received goals from forwards Sebastian Wannstrom and Keith Aucoin (2G), and defenseman Evan Oberg, while right wing Mike Davies and center Christian Hanson each picked up two assists.

After Chicago (16-12-1-2) entered the third period with a 4-3 lead, the Monsters tied the score with 1:45 left in the game and forced it to the extra session on a goal from left wing Andrew Agozzino, who beat Wolves netminder Matt Climie top-shelf through a crowded crease.

Lake Erie (15-12-0-3) ended the game 2:48 into overtime as center Mark Olver scored the game-winner. Left wing Michael Schumacher picked off a pass from the Wolves blueline and moved in on net, sending the puck to a wide-open Olver, who buried it.

The Monsters opened scoring 4:50 into the contest as Lake Erie cleared the puck right to the stick of Schumacher as he was exiting the penalty box. Schumacher released a shot and poked at his own rebound as the puck deflected off a Wolves defender and over the goal line.

The Monsters doubled their lead at 5:59 of the opening frame, just 1:09 after Lake Erie’s opening tally. After a clearing attempt was held in Chicago’s zone, left wing Trevor Cheek whipped a shot from the top of the slot that beat Climie high glove-side.

Wannstrom notched his first marker of the season at 16:41 to pull the Wolves within a goal. Goaltender Calvin Pickard made the initial save, but lost the puck in a scrum. Wannstrom streaked toward the net and roofed the puck, sitting in the crease, over Pickard’s glove.

Lake Erie regained its two-goal lead 6:21 into the middle frame. Moving in 3-on-1, Schumacher sent a pass to the middle of the zone for right wing J.T. Wyman, who scored off his own rebound.

Chicago rallied again to get within one as Aucoin bagged his first tally of the day. Defenseman Cade Fairchild released a low shot from the blue line that Aucoin deflected past Pickard glove-side.

With 1:02 remaining in the second period, the Wolves rallied to take the lead with two goals. Oberg’s point shot beat a screened Pickard to tie the game at 18:58. Aucoin took a centering pass from Davies 35 seconds later and fired a shot behind Pickard to give the Wolves a 4-3 lead.

Climie (3-6-0) made 26 saves, while Pickard (8-7-2) ended the night with 35 stops.

The Wolves return home at 4 p.m. on Sunday to close out the weekend against Charlotte at Allstate Arena.

Chicago 1 3 0 0 -- 4
Lake Erie 2 1 1 1 -- 5

First Period---1, Lake Erie, Schumacher 1 (Stollery), 4:50; 2, Lake Erie, Cheek 2 (Reid), 5:59; 3, Chicago, Wannstrom 1 (Hanson, Regner), 16:41. Penalties---Schumacher, Lake Erie (holding the stick), 2:41; Shields, Chicago (roughing), 8:07; Heard, Lake Erie (crosschecking), 8:07; Cannone, Chicago (goaltender interference), 10:38.

Second Period---4, Lake Erie, Wyman 4 (Schumacher), 8:09; 5, Chicago, Aucoin 3 (Fairchild, Davies), 15:46; 6, Chicago Oberg 3 (Hanson, Shattock), 18:58; 7, Chicago, Aucoin 4 (Davies, Chorney), 19:33. Penalties---Beaupre, Lake Erie (closing hand on puck), 16:07; Edmundson, Chicago (roughing), 19:50; Maggio, Lake Erie (roughing), 19:50; Maggio, Lake Erie (roughing), 19:50.

Third Period---8, Lake Erie, Agozzino 6 (Hunwick), 18:15. Penalties---Edmundson, Chicago (holding), 10:37.

Overtime---9, Lake Erie, Olver 7 (Schumacher), 2:48. Penalties---None.

Shots on goal---Chicago: 13-15-10-1—39; Lake Erie: 10-9-9-3—31. Power plays---Chicago 0-3; Lake Erie 0-2. Goalies—Chicago, Climie (26-31), Lake Erie, Pickard (35-39). A---7,283. Referees---T.J. Luxmore and Kendrick Nicholson. Linesmen---Shaun Morgan and Brian Wisner.